Ama Sah / Good Day,
On behalf of Coast Mountains School District, I’d like to welcome you to the 2023-2024 school year!
The start of a new school year is an exciting time for everyone involved in our education system, but in particular, for our learners. Heading back to school in September allows children and youth to reconnect with friends they may not have seen over the summer, as well as begin to forge relationships with both classmates and caring adults who may be new in their lives. In many cases, these relationships become the cornerstone for authentic and meaningful learning experiences over the course of the school year.
As a school district, Coast Mountains will continue to focus this year on the priorities identified in the Board’s Strategic Plan – Engage, Ignite, Empower. With overarching goals related to learning, organizational wellness and cultural diversity, district-wide actions in 2023-2024 will serve to improve outcomes for students as measured through multiple indicators including graduation rates, provincial assessment results and classroom evidence of learning. To be sure, staff members across the entire district will strive to create learning spaces that are safe, welcoming and inclusive so that all students feel a sense of belonging and experience success. To learn more about our school district’s Strategic Plan, visit our website at https://cmsd.bc.ca/strategic-plan.
Please take a moment to review the rest of this important communication which includes school start-up and bussing information for Hazelton, Kitwanga, Kitimat, Kitamaat Village, Stewart, Terrace, Thornhill and surrounding communities. Should you have any questions or require further clarification, do not hesitate to contact your child’s school.
Again, welcome to the 2023-2024 school year! We all look forward to seeing you in September.
Superintendent of Schools
Pre-Registration & Opening Day Information
Pre-registration for all schools will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday, August 29 and 30 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Students not pre-registered should register on these dates.
District Schools will open on Tuesday, September 5 for all students (except Kindergarten):
- Kindergarten students are requested to begin attending on the date arranged by the school.
- Buses will make their morning runs at the usual time and their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours EXCEPT for students enrolled at Hazelton Secondary, Kitwanga Elementary, Majagaleehl Gali Aks Elementary, Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary and New Hazelton Elementary Schools who will attend at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 5.
- The alternate bus times for the afternoon of September 5 only for Kitwanga/Hazelton Schools and Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School as well as the 2023-2024 Bus Schedule/Routes effective September 5 and 6 respectively are available at https://cmsd.bc.ca/bus-routes-and-schedules.
Regular school hours and bus runs will begin on Wednesday, September 6. Access the following links to view the 2023-2024 Return to School Messages and Bus Routes including school contacts:
2023-24 Hazelton-Kitwanga Return to School Message & Bus Schedules
2023-24 Kitimat & Kitamaat Village Return to School Message & Bus Schedules
2023-24 Stewart Return to School Message
2023-24 Terrace-Thornhill Return to School Message & Bus Schedules
Should you have questions or concerns regarding bus routing and scheduling the following steps are suggested:
- Contact your child’s/children’s School Principal.
- Contact the Operations Manager at Diversified Transportation bus lines at 250-635-7042 or 1-855-538-5287 for out of town.